Send letters to scott.saylin@myldsmail.net or packages under 4 pounds to Elder Scott Saylin England Leeds Mission Lister House, Lister Hill Horsforth LEEDS, ENGLAND LS18 5AZ 00-44-113-258-4221

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

FIRST TWO LETTERS TO MOM AND DAD and letters from Mom and Dad to Scott.

Dad!!!

This week has been so amazing. Aside from the pain and suffering in the airport for what ended up being 17 and  half hours, it has been a picture perfect week. I can't even tell you how happy I have been. My studies have been amazing, I wish we were studying together though! Everywhere I look I see God's hand. Such an amazing place to be! I remember how in my patriarchal blessing it talks about how on my mission I should take everything to the Lord and he will help me fix them. The only thing I have been nervous about is feeling lonely and homesick. At the airport I prayed my guts out that I would be able to survive all 17.5 hours without those feelings coming on and I made it. I see that it was a test and a blessing from God because I now am so confident in my ability to focus on the Lord and not feeling homesick. There won't ever be another 17 hours on my mission with that much time to freak myself out! I feel like a new man already. I can also say with humble confidence that I have been 100% obedient, including waking up at 6:30AM. I feel very strongly that as long as I am exactly obedient every day that the Lord will help me stay happy and motivated for my entire mission. I haven't been sad for even  a second at all, no anxiety, just peace knowing I am supposed to be here. I have for sure felt your prayers and fasting in my life. SO HAPPY!! 

I'm sorry you've been so busy! I'll for sure pray and fast for you. You're an excellent example to me, dad. I love you!

I love you so much. I am incredibly grateful for your help in getting me all  the way here. I miss you!!


On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 12:00 AM, Greg Saylin <greg.saylin@gmail.com> wrote:

Jack,

I have been waiting all week to write you -- forcing myself to wait until this afternoon -- so I wouldn't be a distraction to you during your first week.  I have prayed for you night and morning, and every prayer in between.  I seriously cannot wait to hear from you.  I presume that Monday is p-day and we'll hear from you tomorrow.  I am really hopeful that this is your email address, and that it didn't change from last time.  I wrote you last week and hope you got it.  

I am not sure even where to start.  I have a MILLION questions for you.  Hopefully you will answer all of them in your email home.  We know you made it to your mission because we got an email from Sister Turvey and then the next morning we got a picture of you with the Turvey's and then one with the Turvey's and your new companion.  I've looked at those pictures at least a million times!   We also saw on the mission facebook site a picture from the zone conference and found you in it!  That's pretty much all we know.  I am eager to hear about your crazy journey getting there (what did you do all day in Amsterdam?), about meeting President Turvey, about your new companion (name, where he is from, how long out, etc.), about your area, about your flat (including address so we can look it up on google earth), about your ward (we found an article about your bishop -- apparently his second time being bishop?), your district (how many missionaries in your ward?), your zone, and the area you are living in.  We want to hear it all.  

I have been praying and praying that your first week would be a good one, and that you would connect with your companion and those in the mission.  I keep having in my mind the picture of you in the airport after you got through security with both fists pumped in the air.  I could not be prouder of you Scott for making it back -- for overcoming all odds and all things.  Wow -- I am amazed.  John Edwards stopped me in the hall today and asked about you.  With emotion on his face he said please tell Scott that his triumph is meaningful to everyone in our ward.  He said Jane was emotional calling him to tell him the news that you had returned to England.  You have impacted so many people by the way you have fought back and made this happen.  You are a miracle.  

I forwarded Keith's email to you from last week so hopefully you got it.  You can tell that he is super excited for you.  I hope you two can connect on email as well.  He sounds like he is doing so much better after being so down about being moved out of his area.  

Let's see -- this is so weird giving you the update at home.  I am used to telling Keith, but more used to having you here!  I had a pretty busy week at work with a few fire drills, and was in Fresno on Friday for a deposition (flew in and back the same day).  Mom, Soph and Ned were in St. George for the weekend for a dance competition.  Kate came home to help hold down the fort.  I had a good talk with her and was glad to finally connect with her.  Sounds like she has been blue with the reality of her world -- just how things haven't turned out like they were supposed to.  If you get time to email her, I hope you might reach out to her soul rather than just the usual.  You are uniquely positioned to bless her.  

I am heading to Medford, Oregon tomorrow for my big hearing on Tuesday -- pray for me as I will need it.  Then we are preparing to head to Houston for our little reunion/spring break experience.  Should be fun.  

What do you guys do for Conference?  With the six hour time change, it must make it difficult to watch live.  How does that work for you?  

My spiritual thought for you:   I have been back reading the Old Testament again.  I started reading after Seth's patriarchal blessing to understand better the relationships of the 12 tribes.  It really is something to think that we have been adopted into the House of Ephraim but the blood of Judah flows through our veins.  When I did the Ancestry.com DNA test, the largest marker in my blood -- nearly half -- was Eastern European Jew.  Crazy huh?   There is much promised to both of these tribes.  After working through Genesis, I have been in Exodus.  Remarkable history for sure.  One of the lines I keep pondering on is when Moses was moving the Jews out of Egypt, having been finally told by Pharaoh to leave.  The Egyptians started to pursue them with all of the chariots of war and were coming to kill them.  The Jews saw them and began to doubt.  They were fearful and stopped moving towards the Red Sea.  After all, with an army pursuing you, running to the edge of the sea doesn't look like a great strategic move since you are going to be trapped.  Moses prayed to the Lord for help, and this is what the scriptures say:

And the Lord said unto Moses, Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward:

   There is much to learn in this verse. First, it is clear that the Lord intends for us to do all within our power before we turn to Him and ask for a miracle.  But the words of the Lord also remind me of our calling in the priesthood, and how we are here to lead the people.  The Lord placed us here to do this work -- and the people are to hear His words through us.  We are the tools the Lord placed here to provide direction, hope and peace to the people.  Yes, in the most dramatic and dangerous and desperate of circumstances, but also when a little family is losing their home, or they don't have enough food to eat, or when a young mother is being abandoned by her husband, or when health issues are a concern.  When life turns difficult, the Lord expects his priesthood to lead.  You are on the front line of that battle.  I think it is important to remember when the people are lost and difficult to lead -- it is for the priesthood to teach, testify, lead and give hope.  

Well, Jack, can't wait for your email.  Please tell us everything you have time to share.  We can't get enough.  I so hope you are doing well.  Again, know of my love and prayers for you -- that all of my faith is being exercised in your behalf.  Know that I am so proud of you, and that your being there in England means more than you can possibly imagine.  I will forever thank my God for it.  

Take luck,

Dad

P.S.  I presume since you have an iPad that printing and mailing these emails to you is not helpful.  If that isn't the case, let me know.  

P.P.S.  Is there anything you need?

Sent from my iPad



Mom!!

I'm here! Man what a week! Mom, it's been so amazing! I love the English people. Thank you so much for your fasting and prayers for me. I feel them every day! I am so lucky to have such a faithful mom who is ALWAYS in tune with the spirit. Knowing that you always knew I would be here has been such a motivation to me out here. I love getting to serve the same people as you! Your example to me of how to stay positive and happy no matter what is amazing. I have been the happiest person in the UK and intend to be that way for 2 years! I can relate to so many of the people we teach in a million different ways. We taught a 23 year old dude last night who is struggling with many drug addictions. When we went to teach him he was high as a kite and couldn't focus on the gospel. On the way home I cried to see how sad it is to be in his shoes. I can see how sad he is and I also see how much potential he has to be so happy! I won't give up. Pray for Jamie!! I love you so much,  mom, you are the world to me!!!!!! I would be lost without you. You have played such a key role in getting me here and I will always be grateful and love you!!!!

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:53 AM, <jennifersaylin@gmail.com> wrote:

Elder Saylin,
What a joy it is to write that to you .  Before I crawl into bed I just want to thank you for the most wonderful pleasure it is to be your mom. Today and last night was miraculous. Our prayers have all been answered. The Atonement fixed everything. Everything. And now look at you.....

The ride home from the airport was so sad. Everyone just cried. It was quite something. You may not realize the powerful impact for good you have on all of us. We now await word about the start of this mission you've worked so hard to return to. I'm so proud of you.

I'm sure you're exhausted. I prayed all day for you. I hope the flight was ok. We spent the whole day tracking where you were. Only a few more hours and you'll be there. Wow. Wow.

Know we love and miss you. You are amazing. Truly none finer.

I love you,
Mom


Sent from my iPhone



No comments:

Post a Comment